Sundays with Dixi | Week 2 Roundup
Posted on October 04 2020
Ahwoo Dixi Pack,
We were absolutely blown away with the response to last weeks Sundays with Dixi, and seeing you all getting involved and interacting was so heartwarming! So a sincere thank you to everyone that made it a great start to this little series. It's nothing without the Pack!
Like last week, we've got a NEW FREEBIE up for grabs with qualifying Dixi orders - again it's super easy to qualify so stay tuned until the end for the details on how you can snag one!
This weeks Sundays with Dixi Playlist - October Rain
Perfect for a rainy Sunday when those cosy vibes are needed. Press play!
For Spotify users:
No Spotify? No problem! Enjoy the playlist on the Dixi Pack YouTube channel.
Now You Know
Autumn used to be called 'harvest', until about 1500. The full moon closest to the Autumn Equinox is known as the harvest moon. Before the cities electrified, the bright night of the harvest moon was essential for farmers harvesting their late year crops. (Source)
Autumn really does have its own distinct 'scent'. Meteorologist Matthew Cappucci said in The Washington Post, "When the leaves fall, they die. As they take their last breath, they 'exhale' all sorts of gases". (Source: The Washington Post)
That's equal parts amazing... and somehow a bit melancholy!
Snuggle down and watch
Our Planet: Forests
Made You Think
450 yearsthe amount of time it takes ONE plastic bottle to decompose.
60 millionthe number of single-use plastic bottles used every single day.
the percentage of these plastic bottles that are not even recycled, so end up in landfill, in the ocean, or elsewhere in the environment. (Source)
So what can we do to help?
I mean, this one kind of goes without saying, doesn't it! It's one of those environmental things that is only partly something that we as individuals and consumers can affect. Corporations have a huge responsibility too. But for the purposes of this, let's think about small changes we can each make to lessen our plastic footprint. Like we said last week - these small changes compound when we all play a part.
- Buy yourself a reusable bottle. Treat yourself to a nice one that you'll be excited to fill up and use.
- If you have a single-use bottle, make sure that it goes into a recycling bin. Take it home to recycle if you can't find a bin out and about.
- Invest in a good water filter jug - and encourage your family / household to make use of it too.
Here are some of our tried and tested faves.
Reusable Fruit Infusion Bottles
Create your own fruit infusion mixes - another advantage is that you won't be buying extra fruit squash in another plastic bottle! We've tried this one and can report that it is super easy to keep clean, and it's also huge - 1 litre - so you'll be able to keep track of your daily water intake too.
Reusable Filter Bottle
If you don't like the taste of regular tap water, or it simply isn't drinkable, these filtered water bottles are perfect, and it means you can fill up throughout the day while you're out and not worry about the water quality. The individual filters are easily found online and in the supermarket, too.
You don't even need to spend huge amounts of money on a fancy Brita one - many supermarket do their own dupes that are just as good, as well as cheaper cartridges! Cartridges typically last about a month, so quickly pay for themselves. Tip for our UK pack - Tesco do a pack of 3 Maxtra cartridges for just £7.50! £2.50 a month for freshly filtered water? Yes mate.
Do you have a plastic reducing tip to share with the Dixi Pack? Please let us know!
It's that time again, Dixi Pack! Gather your ingredients, and let's make
Vegan Cinnamon Apple Rolls!
Spoiler Alert - this is how mine turned out. Not perfect, still delicious!
These are more of a full morning / afternoon project than a quick make, so set aside some time, maybe get your family involved, and have some fun! These are worth the work!
DIFFICULTY: Roll up your sleeves.
TIME TO MAKE: A few hours
ORIGINAL RECIPE: BBC Food
FOR THE ROLLS
475g Plain Flour (plus extra for dusting)
7g Fast Action Yeast
50g Caster Sugar
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp salt
300ml soya / almond milk
75g dairy free margarine
FOR THE CARAMEL:
75g dairy-free margarine
3 tbsp golden syrup
3 tbsp soft light brown sugar
Pinch of salt
FOR THE FILLING:
2 tbsp soft light brown sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
200g apple sauce / butter
Optional extra: Chopped pecans
1. Line a baking tin with a sheet of baking parchment.
2. Add the flour and cornflour into a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the caster sugar, cardamom, salt, and yeast. Mix well.
4. Warm the milk in a pan or microwave until lukewarm. Add to the dry ingredients.
5. Add the margarine to the mix, and combine all ingredients until a dough is formed.
6. Tip dough onto a dusted surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
7. Shape the dough into a ball, and return to the mixing bowl.
8. Cover with cling film and leave for about an hour, until the dough has doubled in size.
9. In a small pan, melt the dairy-free margarine and the golden syrup.
10. Add the soft light brown sugar and a pinch of salt, and stir well.
11. Allow to bubble for about 10 seconds and then pour into your prepared tin.
12. Now let's make the cinnamon filling. Mix together soft light brown sugar and cinnamon (and add your pecan nuts if you're using them). Set aside.
13. If your dough is now ready, dust a clean work surface with flour and tip out the dough.
14. Knead for 30 seconds to push out any air bubbles.
15. Roll dough into a large 50x30cm sheet with the longest side nearest you.
16. Spread out the applesauce evenly.
17. Sprinkle on your cinnamon sugar mix (and pecans if using).
18. Carefully roll the dough into a long spiral log.
19. Cut into about 9, thin, even sized pieces.
20. Place them spiral side up onto your prepared tray.
We're nearly done!
21. Lightly cover the tray with cling film for about 45 minutes, until the dough is well risen.
22. Heat your oven to 180c / gas mark 4.
23. Bake the risen buns on the middle shelf for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
24. Remove and allow to cool down.
25. Make yourself a coffee or other warm cosy drink.
26. Serve with your freshly baked cinnamon apple roll!
10/10. Would recommend. If you do some baking, make sure to take a pic and send it to us, or tag us #sundayswithdixi!
Did you give last weeks stove top home fragrance recipe a try? We're back with another seasonal mix to try! Our tip with these stove top recipes is get in the habit of saving bits you'd normally throw away, like fruit rinds, so you always have something on hand!
A large saucepan filled with water
Orange (rind or slices)
Lemon (rind or slices)
Handful of cloves
What to do:
1. Bring your pan of water to the boil.
2. Add your ingredients.
3. Allow to boil for about 5 minutes, and then turn down the heat so the pan simmers.
4. Top up the water regularly so that the pan is always at least half filled.
P.S. Remember to turn off the heat overnight, and to keep a close eye on the water levels!
Right click and open image in new tab so you can save the template and post to your stories!
Small Business Sunday
So many of you joined in with last weeks Small Business Sunday and shouted from the roof tops about your fave small businesses! Let's keep this positivity train going!
@screamingmandrakeperfumes | screamingmandrakeperfumes.co.uk
Handmade perfumes made by our babe Claira, right here in the UK using high quality fragrance and essential oils. These perfumes have taken over at Dixi HQ (and our grimmwolf boxes!) and nothing feels quite as fancy as rolling these onto your wrists and taking in the heady, natural scents. You might see these beautiful roller balls in our home section, but don't forget to head over to Claira's website and check out her full collection. If you can get hold of it (it's already sold out once!) snag some Autumn Fire. It's THE seasonal perfume of your dreams.
@theecowitchco | theecowitch.co.uk
The Eco Witch Co is another wonderful brand we have had the pleasure of working with for our grimmwolf boxes, so some of you may be familiar! Ran by Charlotte, this beautiful little shop supplies goods for the environmentally conscious witches among you. She hand pours all her candles in small batches, so you know each one has been borne out of care and love.
@romamaydesign | etsy.com/shop/romamaydesign
Meet one of our new favourite artists! Creating gorgeous illustrations for the melancholy and wild inclined, stop by her etsy for even more beautiful original art, from botanicals to tarot cards.
Share your own faves on instastories using our template! (Right click and open in new tab)
FREE FREE FREE
Freebies alert! Qualify when you spend £30 or more this week, while stocks last! Last weeks went within 48 hours so act fast!
GIFT BUNDLE INCLUDES:
Wake In The Forest Luxury Bath - Complimentary of Wild & Wood (full size products available on their website)
Double-sided Oak & Acorn / Autumn Leaves Print
A6 Silvis Autumni Print
Set of 6 Silvis Autumni Stickers
HOW TO QUALIFY
1. Make sure your order is £30+ (excluding shipping and before any discounts are applied).
2. When your cart qualifies, the option to add the free gift bundle will appear above the cart. Should the free gift have gone out of stock, it will not be available at checkout.
3. ADD THE GIFT BUNDLE TO YOUR CART. This is important. If you do not add it to your cart, it is NOT added to your order and you will not receive it. Please don't check out without it and then email us expecting it to be added, because it won't!
Strictly subject to availability. If you return items in your order that take the order amount below the threshold £30, you will need to return the free gift unused and unopened, in full - please sure you are completely happy with your order before dismantling the gift set.
Thank you so much for joining us for another Sundays with Dixi! We are loving this quality cosy time, so we hope you are too!
Also before we forget - find in store from today, another Dixi exclusive.
'Cosy Sunday', a Dixi X Veor Collaboration
Available in 50ml room sprays and 10ml burner oils. Featuring a warming blend of amber, spices, and cedar, these are our signature Cosy Sunday scent and perfect for using on cool, dark days when you need a little comfort! You'll also find some 30ml Fragrance Samplers available free here and there, so keep your eyes peeled. All hand poured and labelled by our Dixi girl Victoria, for our Dixi Pack, with love!
See you next Sunday!
Lots of love,
your Sisters at Dixi x